Before you decide what coating you need to enhance the surface of any metal, you should first think about your operating environment and the impact the coating in question could have, what it could be and what it definitely should not be.
Specialised coatings are used to:
- Enhance metal surfaces permanently
- Solve wear
- Prevent corrosion
- Increase lubrication
- Decrease release problems
The Automotive Industry
In this industry, surface coating usage has grown hugely over the last fifty years. It was then that the internal combustion engine was usually manufactured out of cast iron, forged steel and die-cast aluminium alloys. Heat treatment was combined with white metal or bronze bearings in order to provide wear surfaces. These were lubricated by the oil films pumped through large expanses created between moving surfaces. Though they operate in the same way, cars and their engines today must last greater distances, adhere to emissions regulation and aim for reduced consumption of fuel in order for lighter engines, lower engine tolerance and lower friction between moving parts. This has meant that a wider array of coatings has become necessary to overcome certain common problems, such as wear, corrosion and friction and aid the long-life performance that our modern cars need.
Automotives Bare All
- Piston crowns are often coated with thermal insulated ceramic coatings, usually in diesel engines.
- Mating cylinder linings can be coated with electrolytic or electroless plated composite finishes Silicon carbide, diamond or boron nitride.
- Fuel storage and delivery systems need electroless nickel plating (especially in bio fuel consuming cars), frequently enhanced by powder coatings or e-coat top coats.
- Brakes require hard anodising, enhanced by applying paint or powder coating top coats.
- Brake systems, fluid delivery pipework and air suspension systems use ductile zinc nickel plating.
- Motors contain neodymium, iron, boron magnets which need TriCem coating and heat treatment, to enhance magnetic performance but to leave the alloys unaffected.
Specialist Plating Company, us
us, Derbyshire, are leading specialists in the plating industry, specialising in electroless nickel plating. We have developed a wide range of techniques and are able to provide high-end, cost-effective services for you. We have great experience working with many companies in the automotive industry, as well as the aerospace and military industries, too. We service the whole of the UK, France, Holland, Brazil and Germany, offering many services, such as nickel diamond plating, diffused nickel plating, copper plating, shot blasting and heat treatment.
Contact Us at us
If you or your business are interested in finding out more about any of our specialist treatments then please give our friendly and professional team a call today on our phone number, you can send us an email at or alternatively you can visit our website by clicking here.