In our last blog post we discussed the antimicrobial action of copper and its power to inhibit the growth of micro organisms.
But the process of copper plating isn’t just limited to laboratory equipment such as the incubator that we copper plated on behalf of New Brunswick. Copper is also used in a variety of everyday products to effectively prevent and eliminate microbial growth, including the following:
- Copper -sulfate and -chelate aquacades control aquatic pests in ponds and municipal water supplies.
- Copper based pesticides are widely used to control fungi, algae and nematodes.
- Brass (copper/zinc alloy) used in machining coolant filters removes bacteria and algae.
- Copper can be incorporated into cement or paint. This can be particularly useful when used in basements which tend to be very humid and sometimes damp, as it prevents the growth of bacteria and fungus.
- It is used in cooling systems and towers to reduce bacteria and algae.
- Plumbing pipes that contain copper have been proven to reduce the threat from the bacteria Legionella pneumophila. The Centre for Applied Microbiology and Research carried out a study showing that copper piping reduces the growth of these particular bacteria, which is the causative agent of Legionaire’s Disease.
Pure Copper Touch Surfaces in Incubators
Copper is a recognised approach for preventing microbial growth in the incubator. Copper has recently enjoyed a popular resurgence within the clinical sciences, and in 2018 the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency certified that pure copper “kills 99.9 percent of bacteria within two hours.” Copper has also been proven to be effective against bacterial spores.
The cell culture research community now strongly back the use of incubators featuring copper interior chambers in recognition of copper’s effective antimicrobial activity. Copper is often used in C02 incubators because it is understood that the higher the temperature and relative humidity, the better the effectiveness of coppers antimicrobial action.
If you are looking for a reliable copper plating service for laboratory equipment such as the interior chambers of incubators, us can help. Call us to speak to a member of our team or